Starting a handyman business in Nanaimo, BC does not take a lot of money. However if people are going to take you seriously or if you plan on being in business for longer than just a few months, there are many things you need to do to start your business.
Here is a checklist to get you thinking about the steps you need to take to start your handyman business in Nanaimo, BC.
1. It all begins with you: The very first step you should take is making sure that you really want to own your own business. No matter what type of business you are starting, you really have to want to be a business owner.
2. Pick a name for your business and decide how you will set up your handyman business. Will you be a sole proprietor? A LLC? A regular corporation? You will probably need to consult with and accountant and an attorney to make sure you choose the best entity for you.
3. Research what type of insurance you will need. There are many different types of insurance you may need, for instance, workers compensation, generally liability, and commercial insurance for the vehicle you will be using. Be sure to check with your state to see what they require. Also remember to check with the municipalities in area.
4. Research what type of business licenses you will need in Nanaimo, BC. Does the municipality you live in require a business license? What about and electrical or plumbing license? Does your state require any type of license? Make sure you know what you need before you open your doors.
5. Research your customers. Make sure you know who your target customers are and what it is that they need. Will you specialize? An example of this would be targeting senior citizens, real estate agents, and landlords.
6. Research your competitors in Nanaimo, BC. Make sure you know what they are doing well and what they are not doing well. What’s not being offered, that is needed, that you could offer.
7. Based on your research decide what services you are going to offer, the price you will charge, then how you will advertise your service.
8. Make sure you have the necessary tools. Be sure that you have the basic tools for the services that you will be offering, however do not go overboard purchasing the fancy stuff. Remember a lot of larger tools can be rented, until you are doing enough work to justify the purchase.
9. Make a plan. Put the above into a business plan to keep you organized and on track.
Follow this check list before you start your handyman business in Nanaimo, BC to make sure you are starting out as strong as possible and to help make your new business a success. Looking for a handyman? Visit our website at http://www.handymennanaimo.ca/